Saturday 27 March 2010

The Scottish Play


Recently in my English class, I have been given the play “Macbeth” to read. For those of you who have read “Macbeth”, some of you might recall the scene when the murderers that Macbeth sent intruded Lady Macduff’s home. One could not help but notice the hilarious, illogical moment when the murderer stabs Macduff’s son (or as my English teacher addressed him: “The Little Macduffer”). The tragic, yet humorous moment highly amused me as “the little Macduffer” cried, “He (the murderer) has killed me” AFTER being stabbed. I could not help but ponder that Shakespeare might have over highlighted the dramatic effects that lies in the play when he wrote those lines. One would think that Shakespeare underestimated the intelligence of mankind by adding those lines. Imagine being killed and having only a few breaths to say something. One would not waste away that by making superfluous remarks like stating he has been killed. Well… unless he is Grigori Rasputin, the weird Russian mystic who was poisoned, shot four times, badly beaten and still survived.

No comments:

Post a Comment